Choosing the Best Bumper Cases and Covers for Your iPhone 6
The sleek design of the iPhone 6 makes it visually appealing but offers little protection. A bumper case or cover can help protect your iPhone 6 against accidental bumps, drops, and dings.How does a bumper case protect an iPhone 6?
Bumper cases and covers for iPhone 6 phones wrap around the edges of the iPhone to keep the phone from coming into contact with flat surfaces. These protect your phone from:
- Bumps: As the name implies, the case provides a bumper around the edges that is designed to protect your phone if another object bumps into it.
- Drops: Most cases can protect your phone if it is dropped from a moderate height of 6 to 10 feet or more.
- Scratches: The raised edges of the bumper keep your phone from coming into contact with other surfaces. This helps protect your screen from scratches and small cracks.
There are several important features to look for in your iPhone bumper:
- Protection level: If you have an active lifestyle, or your iPhone is frequently exposed to hazardous situations, look for a bumper case that is rugged and durable. If your phone is typically used in a quieter setting, a lightweight case may be a good option for you.
- Features: Many cases include additional features, such as a kickstand to hold the phone upright on a flat surface, or a pocket to hold your credit card or ID. Look for features that will make it more convenient for you to carry and use your iPhone.
- Size: Select a cover that is specifically designed for the iPhone 6, to ensure it will fit your phone. Think about where you frequently store your phone. A bulky cover could make it harder to fit your phone in your pocket.
- Type of material: iPhone 6 bumpers are commonly made of plastic, silicone, rubber, or thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU).
TPU is one of the most frequently used case materials. It is a mixture of hard plastic and soft silicone and feels like a dense, smooth rubber. TPU cases are designed to slide in and out of a fabric pocket easily while offering some resistance to sliding on hard surfaces like a table.Can bumper cases protect your iPhone if you drop it?
A bumper is designed to provide protection against minor to moderate impacts, including falls. The raised edges of the bumper case can also keep your phone from touching rough surfaces, which helps prevent scratches on the screen or case. While different bumpers offer different levels of protection, some are able to withstand falls of up to 16 feet.