Shop Fashion Jewelry
What is Fashion Jewelry?
If your wardrobe feels drab and dull, spruce it up by adding a few chic pieces of fashion jewelry. Fashion jewelry is an affordable alternative to your favorite pieces of designer jewelry. Fashion jewelry is also known as costume jewelry. However, fashion jewelry and costume jewelry have a few differences. For example, costume jewelry is typically made with glass and cheap rhinestones, while fashion jewelry is made with lower-end gemstones. Fashion jewelry can be worn as a statement piece or as part of a gorgeous matching set. Sellers on eBay offer a variety of trendy styles that belong in your jewelry box. The price of fashion jewelry makes it perfect for everyday wear. It’s so affordable that you can buy different pieces and sets to stay fashionable without breaking the bank. Make your favorite dress feel brand new again with a chic set of matching jewelry.
A Rainbow of Colors
Fashion jewelry comes in a variety of gorgeous hues, ensuring you find the perfect piece for your outfit. If you love to wear pearls, consider a pink or black pearl necklace for a fantastic twist on this classic piece of jewelry. When you just can't decide what color to pick, opt for a multi-color bracelet decorated with glittering reproductions of your favorite gemstones. You have multiple options when it comes to the setting for your jewelry. Gold tones are a top setting for a traditional look, while solid black lends a contemporary finish.
Popular Stones for Fashion Jewelry
Fashion jewelry’s most popular stones are:
- Cubic zirconia: A synthetic crystalline substance just as beautiful as diamonds, but much more affordable! That’s actually why cubic zirconia is so popular: it provides beauty while still helping jewelry lovers get the best deal for their money.
- Pearl: Real pearls are gemstones formed inside mollusks, typically oysters. When a foreign substance slips into the mollusk, the creature covers the foreign material in what is call nacre. Nacre is what gives a pearl its luster. It gets larger and larger over time. Pearls come in a variety of colors. The most common color is white, but also come in blue, pink, green, grey, and even black. Man-made pearls are also available. They are often more affordable than natural pearls.
- Rhinestone: A rhinestone is an imitation diamond. They are used in fashion jewelry and to decorate clothing. Rhinestone is typically made of glass, paste, or gem quartz. There are many different types of rhinestones. They are typically classified by how they are placed on the material, such as flat back hot-fix, glue-on flat back, sew on, claw, rim setting, or mounting.
- Opal: Opal is a non-crystalline form of silica. It is formed in lumps as opposed to its crystalline cousin, quartz. Opal comes in a variety of colors such as fire opal, blue opal, Peruvian, and girasol. The most exquisite feature of the opal is opalescence, also known as fire, which is its ability to reflect specific wavelengths of color. The most typical colors are blue, green, orange, and purple. Each color has its own clarity.
- Sapphire: Sapphire is a precious gemstone made from the mineral corundum, which consists of aluminum oxide with trace amounts of other elements such as iron, titanium, etc. Sapphire is the third hardest material, falling just below diamond and moissanite. Sapphires are known for their blue coloring. They also come in yellow, orange, green, brown, purple, pink, and violet hues.
- Turquoise: Turquoise is an opaque mineral that exists in beautiful hues of blue, blush green, and yellowish green. Turquoise occurs naturally but can also be man-made.
Popular Metals Used in Fashion Jewelry
The most popular metals used in fashion jewelry are:
- Alloy: Alloy is the most popular base metal used in both costume jewelry and fashion jewelry. Alloy includes a combination of copper, iron, nickel, tin, and aluminum. These metals are combined with silver and gold to make the jewelry more affordable and still give the look of high-end jewelry. They are extremely affordable.
- Gold-plated: Gold-plated fashion jewelry is the best for budget-minded individuals wanting the look of gold without spending the extra money. The process creates a layer of gold as thin as 1/1000 to 3/100 of an inch over a more affordable metal, usually silver or copper. The one downside of gold-plated jewelry is the gold layer fades and tarnishes over time.
- Silver-plated: Like gold-plated, silver-plated jewelry uses an extremely thin layer of silver to cover a base metal, commonly copper, brass, or a white metal. Silver-plated fashion jewelry is both budget friendly and perfect for daily wear or as a statement piece for special occasions.
- Sterling silver: Sterling silver is an alloy containing silver and other metals, usually copper. It is used commonly in fashion jewelry, but it is also used in forks, spoons, knives, coins, and even punch bowls.
- Stainless steel: Stainless steel provides the look of silver for a more affordable price. It is also more resistant to scratching and tarnishing than silver.
- Gold: Gold is the only metal that is yellow or golden in color. The karat weight is determined by how much pure gold is in the piece: 24 karat gold is 100% pure gold while 18 karat gold is 75% pure gold.
- Other metals: Other common metals used in fashion jewelry include iron, copper, nickel, tin, and aluminum. The metal is a determining factor in the price of the jewelry.
Pick Your Style
Whether you prefer classic, elegant jewelry or edgy pieces, sellers on eBay have the style you are looking for. Necklaces and pendants come in a variety of designs, from the simple, yet charming locket to the clunky choker adorned with skeletons. For formal occasions, you can't go wrong with an exquisite matching pendant and earrings, or select a more comprehensive jewelry set that also comes with a matching bracelet and ring.
Jewelry for Every Budget
Though fashion jewelry is a budget conscious alternative to fine jewelry, you can customize the price point even more to ensure it suits your shopping budget. If you are looking for quality earrings or necklaces, Swarovski crystal jewelry offers a plethora of beautiful items that last for years. Swarovski crystals come in practically every color imaginable. What better way to accessorize an outfit with neutral colors than with a sapphire blue crystal necklace or a brooch lush with deep red crystals? Opting for silver-plated rather than solid silver fashion jewelry is one easy way to keep costs down.
How to Shop for Fashion Jewelry
Here are our best tips for buying fashion jewelry on eBay:
- Buying new: Make sure that you take your time when looking online at fashion jewelry. You can find similar brand new fashion jewelry pieces for very different prices. Review the description for the metals, gemstones, size, and any other information that may be important for your purchase. Make sure that the seller is reliable and has good feedback. Look for a return policy. If the seller has one, make sure it is easy to understand.
- Buying used: The good news about used fashion jewelry is that it tends to be cheaper than buying the same piece brand new. You may be able to take the piece to a jeweler to get it cleaned so that it looks new again. If the price is too cheap, think twice and read the description carefully to ensure that you know what you should be getting. Used fashion jewelry also comes with a degree of wear and tear on it. Ask about clasp and prong damage. Check for a return policy. If the seller has one, make sure that it is easy for you to understand.
- Buying vintage: Vintage fashion jewelry may be a piece that is more than 20 years old, but it may also be a new piece made in a vintage design. Anything older than 100 years is considered antique jewelry, which is usually accompanied by a much higher price. If you’re looking for vintage or antique jewelry, ask questions to make sure you know what you’re paying for. Is the piece truly a fashion jewelry piece that lasted long enough to be considered vintage? Is it a piece of fashion jewelry designed to look vintage or retro? If it is an older piece, ask about clasps and other important features that secure the jewelry and its stones. Look for a return policy and make sure that you understand it before you buy.