A Short Guide to Persian Antique Rugs and Carpets
Persian and Oriental rugs are not just decorative pieces for the home and office. These are woven by artisans through a traditional method that has passed through centuries. You can find a range of antique Persian carpets and Oriental rugs on eBay.What are Persian rugs and carpets?
While grouped together under the category of Oriental rugs, the Persian carpet-making tradition is distinct from those of other countries. Also known as Iranian carpets, these are typically pile or flat-woven creations produced by artisans from different towns and villages in Iran. The dyes used in creating the various designs and patterns are extracted from plants and other natural sources.How can you identify a Persian antique rug?
To distinguish a Persian antique rug from other types of Oriental rugs, take note of the following details:
- Origin: Some of the tribes that produce these distinct carpets and rugs include the Mahal, Qashqai and Khamseh, and the Afshari.
- Patterns and colors: The styles, designs, and colors are also used to distinguish the different tribal and village creations. These patterns include the Mina Khani floral patterns, the ?Tree of Life,? Toranj, Boteh, and other designs.
- Size: Persian rugs can also be grouped based on size. The size ranges from the Zaronim pieces, which measure around 150 centimeters, to the large-format Ghali carpets.
- Material: Iranian carpets are made from materials such as wool, cotton, and silk. The quality of the wool depends on certain factors, including the sheep breed and the shearing method used. Silk is used in combination with other materials. As a design enhancement, silk adds value to the carpet.
- Weaving method: These carpets are either produced by pile or flat-weaving. Pile weaving has raised areas due to its knotted edges.
The price of an antique Oriental or Persian carpet depends on its condition and rarity. A collection of antique Persian rugs may include the following pieces. These are just a few examples.
- Serapi: These are quality pieces produced in Northwestern Iran. Highly sought-after pieces were created by hand over several years.
- Sarouk: These vintage rugs have geometric, flower, and leaf patterns. Rare pieces were produced in the 19th century in West Central Persia.
- Bakhthiari: These carpets also take years to complete. They also use geometric patterns and bold color motifs.